Home / Advising / Tempe Campus FAQs

Tempe campus frequently asked questions

General questions

Prospective and new Political Science and Global Studies majors

Registration issues

Academic success issues and concerns

Experiential learning opportunities

Career, graduate, and professional programs and information

Military/veteran assistance

Other questions

General information

Q: How do I make an appointment with an academic advisor?  (top)
A: If you are an admitted political science major, you can schedule an advising appointment online through your MyASU page. Please go to “My Programs and eAdvisor” and click on the “Advising” link. Then click on “Schedule an Advisor Appointment” in the popup window. Just follow the instructions and answer the questions. You’ll be able to select the appointment day and time most convenient for you from those available over the next two weeks. Most online students are advised by phone. You will call 480-965-8563 on your appointment day and time.

All appointments are shown based on “Arizona time,” i.e., Mountain Standard Time. Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time.

You will receive a confirmation number and your advising appointment will be shown on your MyASU page as a reminder.

If you are a prospective student or a current ASU student in a different major, you can access the online appointment scheduling system here. If you have trouble accessing the electronic scheduling system, please call 480-965-8563.  If no one answers, please leave a message and we will call you back. Appointments cannot be made via e-mail.

Q: How should I prepare for my advising appointment?  (top)
A: Please have access to the Internet during your appointment. You should access your DARS to determine if your transfer courses have been evaluated.  When possible make an appointment after you see that your transfer courses have been evaluated. . You should review your Degree Audit Report (DARS) prior to the appointment and write down any questions you have for your advisor.  Please have the DARS and your My ASU web page pulled up on your computer when you call.

  • Once an appointment has been made, please review the appointment on your MyASU page and pay special attention to the Details link.
  • If you must cancel your appointment you may do so using the Advising Appointment Details link on your MyASU.  

Q: How can I reach someone concerning general questions? (top)
A: Students are welcome to call the School of Politics and Global Studies at 480.965.8563 with any general questions. Be sure to leave a voicemail message with your name, ASU ID number, phone number, and a brief message if you call and do not reach someone immediately. Your phone call will be returned within 2 business days.

Q: Where are the Political Science and Global Studies advising offices located? (top)
A: Both Political Science and Global Studies advising offices are located on the Tempe campus in the Coor Building (COOR) on the 6th floor. Please check the campus map  for directions.

Q: What do I need to bring with me to an advising session? (top)
A: When you come for your advising session, please bring the following with you:

  • A photo ID (we cannot share confidential information without one!)
  • A current copy of your full degree audit report (DARS)
  • Any forms that need a signature, printed or on laptop – filled out as fully as possible. Many forms need to be typed.
  • If you are a new transfer student – a copy of your unofficial transcript documenting all transfer work
  • A list of questions to discuss

Q: What is a DARS and how do I access it? (top)
A: DARS stands for Degree Audit Reporting System and is an online curriculum checklist that allows you to track your progress toward degree completion.. For instructions on how to request and read a full DARS report, please see the following instructions. We also suggest that you review the following page concerning your degree audit.

Q: I’ve been able to access my DARS report, but I’m not sure I understand it. What should I do?  (top)
A: Please schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. Your advisor will go over the report in detail and address your questions and concerns. If your transfer courses display in the electives category at the bottom of the report, it may mean that you have not yet had your coursework evaluated for General Studies. Your advisor may recommend that you submit some of your transfer courses for evaluation to the ASU Transfer Credit Guide: http://asu.edu/transfercredit.

Q: What is Political Science?  (top)
A: Political science is the study of how citizens interact with their governments and how governments at all levels formulate policies to serve their citizens. The major offers a variety of courses and opportunities to study politics and policies at the local, national and global levels. The major aims to provide students with the tools and skills necessary to link theory with real-world problems and issues.

Q: What is Global Studies? (top)
A: Global studies examines the causes and consequences of problems that cross national boundaries and the governance of these problems in social, cultural and economic contexts. The major focuses on real-world problems and their solutions in the context of the New American University. This mission is enabled by an internationally recognized faculty who have extensive global experience from a wide variety of disciplines in the social sciences, humanities and law. The global studies program uses teaching, research and public policy activities to address some of the most challenging issues that include:

  • built environments
  • economic and social development
  • global cities and urbanization
  • global governance of quality of life issues such as health and climate change
  • justice and human rights
  • religious identities, rights and conflicts
  • world culture

Prospective and new Political Science and Global Studies majors

Q: How do I declare either a Political Science or Global Studies major? (top)
A: Please download the welcome letter and follow all steps. For additional information, please schedule an appointment with an appropriate School advisor.

Q: How do I declare either a Political Science or Global Studies minor? (top)
A: Please review the minor requirements. Please schedule an appointment to meet with either a Political Science or Global Studies advisor AND your major advisor.

Q: How do I declare either an International Studies, Civic Education or Political Entrepreneurship through Internships certificate? (top)
A: Please review certificate requirements and then schedule an appointment to meet with a Political Science/Global Studies advisor AND your major advisor.

Q: What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Political Science? (top)
A: The curriculum differences are: 

All Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees offered by ASU’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences require intermediate proficiency in a non-English language. Intermediate proficiency can be demonstrated by completing the fourth semester level language (the 202 class for most, but not all, languages) course with a grade of C or better, or by exam.

If you already have some amount of proficiency in a language and wish to continue with that language, you may need fewer than four courses to fulfill the requirement. ASU offers online placement exams for French, German and Spanish here. These exams are used to determine your current level of knowledge in the language and do not award any credit. Rather, they inform you as to the level of language in which you will be the most successful.

Bachelor of Science (BS) majors are not required to take a language.  Instead they must take four other courses not required for the BA degree. These courses are: POS 401 Political Statistics, an extra POS upper division elective, and two science and society courses.  Please see this link for information on the science and society requirement.

The Science and Society website is important in that it 1) lists potential courses each semester that fulfill the requirement; 2) explains when classes may double count and; 3) indicates the specific criteria for selecting courses that meet the requirement (pay particular attention to Learning Goals).

Q: How do I add a concurrent (second) degree? (top)
A: Review the Concurrent Degree Checklist. Then download the Concurrent Degree Notification Form and schedule appointments to meet with advisors from both degree disciplines.

For assistance in choosing a concurrent major, please see the following resources:
• Advising Directory: http://students.asu.edu/advising/directory
• College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Transitional Advising: https://clas.asu.edu/current-students/department-advisors
• University College Major and Career Exploration: http://uc.asu.edu/majorexploration/
• Career Services: http://students.asu.edu/career/tempe

Q: How did my previous coursework transfer to ASU? (top)
A: Welcome to ASU and the School of Politics and Global Studies! Please download the welcome letter and follow all steps. Then schedule an appointment to meet with an appropriate School advisor.

If you are a transfer student with coursework from non-Arizona institutions or private colleges within Arizona your advisor will review your transfer credits with you and may recommend that you request an evaluation of some of your courses through the Transfer Credit Guide at http://asu.edu/transfercredit. When your transfer evaluation is complete you will be able to see your transfer courses on your DARS report (access DARS via your MyASU page). You may make an advising appointment on your MyASU page via the Advising link in the My Programs and eAdvisor section.

If you are a first time freshman, or if all of your transfer coursework is from public institutions in Arizona, your next step is to set up an appointment with an academic advisor.  Your advisor will review your transfer credits with you and explain how the credits apply to your ASU degree.

All Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and CLEP official exam scores as well as transcripts showing dual enrollment and other college credits must be mailed to:
Undergraduate Admissions, Arizona State University PO Box 870112, Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

ASU students changing their major to or adding a concurrent degree in Global Studies or Political Science will have their transfer credits reviewed by an advisor.

Issue: I am a new first time freshman and need to have the Advising Liberal Arts hold removed before I can register. (top)
A: Welcome to ASU and the School of Politics and Global Studies! All incoming freshmen beginning attendance at ASU for the coming fall semester must attend Freshman Orientation. During your orientation session, you will meet with your advisors and register for classes. For additional information after orientation, you may schedule an individual appointment with an appropriate School advisor.

All incoming freshmen beginning attendance at ASU for the coming spring semester should download the welcome letter and follow all steps. Please schedule an appointment to meet with an appropriate School advisor.

Q: How do I take the math placement test? (top)
A: You may take the math placement test online. Be aware that your scores will take 72 hours to process in the system. You should not delay in taking your math placement test or taking your requisite math course.

  • Students who want to enroll in MAT 270 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I must earn appropriate scores on both the regular math placement test and the advanced placement test.
  • Note that your placement exam score will expire after one calendar year. 

Q: How do I take the language placement test? (top)
A: Students who want to take French, German and Spanish language courses should take the online language placement exam to determine which course in the sequence is appropriate for the student’s level of knowledge. We recommend students take a screen shot of their results should they need additional assistance in determining language placement.  Students who have questions about their placement or their results should contact the School of International Letters and Culture. 

Q: Is there a placement test for first year composition (English)? (top)
A: If you already have transfer work that has been accepted toward the first year composition requirement, you do not need to submit placement scores.  ACT, SAT and TOEFL scores are used for placement in first year composition courses. If you have not taken the ACT or SAT, you will need to take the ACCUPLACER exam. For more information on ACCUPLACER, including how to take the exam locally, please see https://uoeee.asu.edu/exam/accuplacer.

Q: What courses do I need to take in Global Studies? (top)
A: Global Studies majors must take 5 SGS electives that are not otherwise listed in their core requirements (SEE DARS to review core requirements-Intro course, statistics, research methods, career course and international experience). These electives must reflect at least 2 areas of emphasis. For a sample list of classes, please see your academic advisor. 

Q: What courses do I need to take as a Political Science major? (top)
A: All Political Science students must complete:  

  • One course in American Politics and Public Policy
  • One course in either Comparative Politics or International Relations
  • One course in Political Theory
  • One course in Political Research Methods
  • BS students must also complete one course in Political Statistics
  • BA and BS students are required to complete political science electives.  Students should choose these electives in consultation with an advisor.

Registration issues

Issue: I need help with the course registration system. (top)
A: Please review the following presentations:
• How to Register (information and links): http://students.asu.edu/registration
• How to Add courses (presentation):http://www.asu.edu/courses/oasis/NewRegistration/AddClass/AddClass.html

Issue: I am unable to register for a POS or SGS course! Help! (top)
A: Please review the possible issues and answers below. If you need additional assistance with your situation, call the front desk at 480.965.8563. 

Students should always consult with an advisor before registering for courses at another institution. 

 • I want to register for a course that has a Green Triangle (Reserved): A course with a green triangle means that the remaining seats are reserved for a specific population. Generally, reserved seats cannot be given to students who do not meet the reserved seat criteria. To view the reserve group criteria, please hover over either the GREEN TRIANGLE or the TITLE of the course. A detail page will open with more information including the date reserved seats will be made available to the general student population, if at all. At the time the reserve date closes, any ASU student who has completed the prerequisites can register for the course.

• The course I want to register for has a Red X (Closed): Keep trying! Drop/add for the full semester continues through the first week of classes – exact dates are listed in a detail page that appears if you hover over the course section dates of operation. Until that time, availability of classes changes constantly. Monitor the online registration system for open seats or new sections. See below concerning overrides and have an alternative in mind. Be flexible – choose another class, in case you can’t get the class you want. Also, consider if the class you need may be offered at a community college.

Overrides for POS or SGS Courses offered by ASU Tempe campus: (top)

Please note: Overrides only give permission to a student to enroll in a course section.  Receiving an override does NOT automatically enroll you in the course!

If you are requesting an override for one of the following reasons: pre-requisite override, class full, need instructor permission, need department consent, and/or time conflict, please read and following the instructions at: https://clas.asu.edu/resources/advising (Course Override Form section).

Overrides for Political Science courses offered by ASU West, Downtown, or Polytechnic campuses:(top)

Political science courses are offered on each of the ASU campuses through different Colleges. To view which campus is offering the course, please check the LOCATION of the class section listed in class search or click on the TITLE of the course to access the detail page. For information on these courses and procedures for course overrides, please see below for contact information.

Q: I receive an error message when I try to register for a class – how can I fix this? (top)
A: Review the information at the Help Center. If you continue to experience trouble, email the appropriate School advisor. Include the following in your email: Name, 10-digit ASU Affiliate ID # (100… or 120…), course prefix and section number, and copy of the error message.

Q: I need to add or drop a course and it is past the deadline – can I still proceed? (top)
A: Based on the 16 week semester calendar, when the regular drop/add period is over it is followed by a late registration period. Students may only drop a course if they are adding another course (swap). The deadlines for late registration are firm and applies for all late requests -late registration (including individualized or independent study), courses taken for audit, laboratory or online courses, special topics, honors thesis, and research enrollments in courses offered by departments/schools in our College.

Please be aware that the drop/withdrawal dates and deadlines based on a 16 week semester calendar do not hold true for all courses. If a class is scheduled in a session that is less than 16 weeks, the deadlines are prorated. Students should check the calendar icon next to each class on their schedule in My ASU for the prorated drop/withdrawal deadline dates.

Late registration procedure –
For students physically located in Maricopa County, AZ:
1. Obtain an Enrollment Request from the Registrar’s Office or forms website (http://students.asu.edu/forms/registration).
2. Obtain instructor approval and signature.
3. Obtain department/School approval. If required (The School of Politics and Global Studies does not require a school signature for its POS and SGS courses)
4. Obtain final authorization from the College (Fulton Center, Suite 110).
5. Submit the approved form to the Registrar’s Office (SSV 144).

For students NOT physically located in Maricopa County, AZ:
1. Download an Enrollment Request form from the Registrar’s forms.
2. Fill out the form in its entirety and forward it by email to Phillip Scharf at Phillip.Scharf@asu.edu
3. Ask the faculty of the class being added to send an email to Phillip Scharf at Phillip.Scharf@asu.edu stating approval for the student’s add. If the request is for a drop, then the instructor must state in the email that the student has never attended or participated in the class.
4. If approved, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will forward the student’s request to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

Q: I want to register for more than the allowed credit hours (18 per semester) - what do I do? (top)
A: You will need to submit a Course Overload Petition from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS). If you meet the criteria, download the petition and complete all sections. For overloads of less than 22 credits during either the fall or spring semesters, please submit the form to an appropriateSchool advisor. For overloads of 22 credits or more, or overloads during summer sessions, complete the form and return to Fulton, room 110, for processing.

Q: I need to take a course for the 3rd time – what do I do? (top)
A: You will need to submit a Third Time petition to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The 3rd time petition is under the Standards Committee Petitions Link before Download and complete. Download and complete the form in its entirety, include all appropriate documentation, and schedule an appointment to meet with your School advisor. Prior to your appointment, please email a copy of your completed petition to your advisor for review. An academic advisor cannot sign the form without reviewing all completed documents so please be prepared!

The 3rd time petition is under the Standards Committee Petitions Link before Download and complete.

Q: I have an “Incomplete” grade for a course – what are my next steps? (top)
A: Do NOT register for the class again! It is the student’s responsibility to complete work as outlined by the student and the professor in a timely fashion. Professors will change any incomplete grades to a proper letter grade upon completion of assignments. Any incompletes left incomplete after one calendar year will automatically change to an E grade. For additional information concerning this policy see: https://students.asu.edu/grades

Academic Success Issues and Concerns

Q: I need to withdraw from a course (course withdrawal) - what should I do? (top)
A: Before withdrawing from a course, please review the following information and then schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor to discuss your situation and options. Advisors cannot assist students with withdrawals after the withdrawal deadline has passed. If the withdrawal deadline is prior to your scheduled advising appointment, it may be in your interest to withdraw first and ask questions later.

NOTE: Students dropping below full-time enrollment (12 credit hours) may face serious consequences (e.g. critical tracking status, financial aid/scholarships, housing, insurance, etc). Many scholarships require the student to maintain 15 credit hours/semester. It is your responsibility to know the specifics of any program you are following and to maintain communication with the financial aid/scholarship offices (located on the second floor of Student Services Building, SSV) and Student Billing Services concerning your changing circumstances.

Check the calendar icon next to each class on your schedule in My ASU for the prorated drop/withdrawal deadline dates to verify the last day you may withdraw. Prior to the deadline, students can withdraw from any class and receive a grade of "W" which will remain on a transcript. Please consult the Tuition Refund Policy to determine whether withdrawing will or will not generate a tuition refund. Students can request a course withdrawal online by signing into My ASU or in person at the Registrar’s Office (SSV 144).

Students should be aware that non-attendance will not automatically result in being dropped/withdrawn. Instructors have the right to exercise this option at their discretion. Students unable to complete a class must officially drop or withdraw themselves from the class prior to the appropriate deadline. Failure to withdraw from a class may result in the reporting of a final failing grade of "E.”

Q: I need to withdraw from all of my classes (complete withdrawal) - what should I do? (top)
A: Students can request a complete withdrawal from the university until the appropriate deadline listed in the calendar icon next to each class on your schedule in My ASU. Complete withdrawals should be viewed as a last resort as there may be serious academic and financial consequences in processing a complete withdrawal. Because making a complete withdrawal from the university is a difficult decision, the university has many resources in place to help. Beginning the first day of classes (for the fall and spring semesters), undergraduate students are required to work with a Student Retention Coordinator to facilitate the withdrawal process or explore other potential options. For more information, visit complete withdrawal information. Additional questions may be directed to the University Registrar’s Office at 480.965.0493.

Q: I need a Medical/Compassionate withdrawal – what should I do? (top)
A: First, please review course withdrawal and complete withdrawal information to understand all of your options.

A medical/compassionate withdrawal request may be made in extraordinary cases in which serious illness or injury (medical) or another significant personal situation (compassionate), not related to the student's personal physical or mental health (for example, care of a seriously ill child or spouse, or a death in the student's immediate family), prevents a student from continuing his or her classes, and incompletes or other arrangements with the instructors are not possible.

Please visit Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal Request Procedure online to review eligibility, gather all necessary documentation related to your request, and download the request form. All requests are reviewed by the College. Approvals are granted on a case-by-case basis. If you have additional questions, please contact the College at 480.965.6506 or contact Carolyn Harley at Carolyn.Harley@asu.edu.

Q: I am on academic probation and I need to have Liberal Arts Advising hold removed - how should I proceed? (top)
A: Students whose GPAs place them below good academic standing, as defined by Arizona State University or their particular College, are placed on academic probation. If you are placed on academic probation, you MUST make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor before your advising hold will be removed. Before your appointment, you must complete the Pre-appointment Probation Homework. This mandatory advising requirement must be completed EACH semester until you have reached good academic standing (generally, a cumulative GPA at or above 2.0).

Q: I am “Off Track” one term and need to know how to get back “On Track” – how should I proceed?  (top)
Answer: You must schedule an appointment with an appropriate School advisor.

Q: I am “Off Track” two terms and must change my major – what is my next step? (top)
A: You do not need to meet with a School of Politics and Global Studies advisor. Review the information on How to Change your Major and then contact an academic advisor in the department or school of your new major. For assistance on choosing a major, please see the following resources:
• College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Transitional Advising: https://clas.asu.edu/advising/transitional
• Arizona Career Information System: http://www.azcis.intocareers.org/
• Career Services: http://students.asu.edu/career/tempe

Students who are Off Track in their current major but are not eligible to transition to their preferred major should make an appointment to meet with a CLAS Transitional Advisor in Fulton 110. Students should follow the steps outlined on the Transitional Advising page: https://clas.asu.edu/advising/transitional

Experiential Learning Opportunities

Q: I am interested in Internship coursework – who do I contact? (top)
A: The School of Politics and Global Studies is committed to providing students with opportunities to complete an Internship for course credit. The internship provides students with skills and experiences that will enhance their educational and career prospects.

The Global Studies major requires an internship. For more information concerning any internship to be used toward fulfilling either POS or SGS major requirements, please review the internship material on our School website.

For more information regarding internships outside of the POS or SGS major experience, please see the following resources:

Q: I am curious about Study Abroad opportunities – where do I start? (top)
A: First, visit the Study Abroad Office! If you decide to participate in one of their many opportunities, then you will need to meet with an appropriate School advisor to discuss the impacts to your graduation trajectory. The Study Abroad office is located in Interdisciplinary Building B255 on the ASU Tempe Campus.

Q: I am interested in registering for POS or SGS 499: Individualized Instruction (Independent Study) – how do I proceed? (top)
A: Independent study opportunities are offered by instructor consent. It is your responsibility to contact a professor you are interested in working with a proposed topic of study. If the professor approves your topic of study and agrees to work with you, you need to submit the Individualized Instruction Consent Request Form to the front desk of the School for processing. An override will be placed in the system and email provided to you when it is appropriate to enroll.

Q: I am interested in POS 494: Junior Fellows or SGS 494: Undergraduate Research Assistant Opportunities – who do I contact? (top)
A: Talented undergraduates work with professors as teaching or research partners. A seminar opportunity will explore the nature and cutting edges of the discipline. For more information about POS 494: Junior Fellows, please review our webpage.

Opportunities for SGS 494: Undergraduate Research Assistantships are offered by instructor consent. You must be contacted by a professor in Global Studies who requires assistance with current research, or answer a call for applications. You then need to submit the Application for Undergraduate Research Assistantship to the Global Studies Advising Office. Once approved by a professor, an override will be placed in the system and email provided to you when it is appropriate to enroll.

Career, graduate, and professional programs and information

Issue: I would like information about careers in Political Science or Global Studies. (top)
A: Unless a position specifies scientific or technical requirements, liberal arts majors are qualified for just about any entry-level position in the market. This is because liberal arts majors cultivate communication, research, and analytical skills needed in most jobs, rendering the new employee easier to train. In addition, liberal arts majors acquire knowledge of our history and culture, which helps their employer deal more successfully with the challenges posed by contemporary American society. The possibilities of career with a Political Science or Global Studies degree specifically are many, including multinational corporations, entrepreneurship, international or non-governmental organizations, Foreign Service, diplomacy, and with other U.S. government agencies.

For additional assistance, please review the information provided by:

Q: Is there a way to get my Master’s degree through my Political Science/Global Studies major? (top)
A: Yes, there is an accelerated program where students obtain both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in 5 years total. Undergraduates take 9 hours of approved coursework to be shared between a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree (one 400-level and two500-level classes), leaving one year to complete a Master’s degree. If you are interested in pursuing this unique 4+1 program, please schedule a meeting with your academic advisor or with Ms. Leah Legg our Graduate Advisor at Leah.Legg@asu.edu

Q: I would like more information about pre-law or pre-health (medical) programs at ASU – who can I contact? (top)
A: While ASU does not have specific majors in the pre-law or pre-health disciplines, there is assistance available to you in addition to your major advisors. Help includes choosing coursework, writing letters of application, working on your resume, and taking tests.



Q: How do I prepare for future graduate/professional studies? (top)
A: Don’t wait until the last minute! Advanced degree programs are very competitive. Graduate/professional programs usually require the following:

• A competitive cumulative GPA
• Standardized admissions test scores (ex. GRE, LSAT, MCAT, GMAT)
• Letters of recommendation <How to get letters of rec>: 2-3 is standard
• Personal Statement
• Resume/Curriculum Vitae
• Writing Sample (possibly)
• Interview (possibly)

Regular workshops to help you prepare your application file are available through the Graduate College and Career Services at ASU.

Military/veteran assistance

Q: I am a veteran coming back to school – what resources are available to me? (top)
A: You have a great deal of support through ASU services! First, visit the ASU military homepage. All information about your on-campus military advocate, benefits summaries, tuition assistance/GI Bill information, credit by exam, and academic success for veterans is available through this website.

Q: I am an active military member finishing my degree – what resources are available to me? (top)
A: You have a great deal of support through ASU services! First, visit the ASU military homepage. Information about tuition assistance, residency exceptions, military activation, tutoring, and academic success may be found through this website. There is also a military leadership minor administered by ARMY ROTC.

Q: I have a military form that requires a signature from my advisor – do I need to make an appointment? (top)
A: Yes, you will need to make an appointment with your major advisor in the School for the both ROTC and Veteran exception forms. Completion of these forms need to be done in an appointment rather than via a walk-in session. 

Other questions

Q: I need advising for Honors – where do I go? (top)
A: You should be in communication with a Barrett Honors advisor about their particular requirements.  However, you also have faculty advisors for Barrett with the School of Politics and Global Studies. POS majors should visit with Dr. Jack Crittenden (crit@asu.edu) or Dr. Avital Simhony (SIMHONY@asu.edu) and SGS majors should visit with Dr. Tom Puleo (Thomas.Puleo@asu.edu). The faculty advisors are your best resource in exploring possible thesis topics and finding appropriate readers. It is never too early to meet with your Barrett faculty advisor!

Q: How do I change my major out of Political Science or Global Studies? (top)
A: You do not need to meet with a School advisor. Review the information on How to Change your Major and then contact an academic advisor in the department or School of your new major.

For assistance on choosing a major, please see the following resources or come in to meet with a School advisor.

• College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Transitional Advising: https://clas.asu.edu/current-students/department-advisors
• Career Services: http://students.asu.edu/career/tempe

Q: Who do I contact concerning financial aid or ASU based scholarships? (top)
A: Contact a Financial Aid Counselor at 480.965.3355 or http://students.asu.edu/contact/financialaid.

You may also seek out scholarships through these resources:
• ASU Scholarship Office: http://students.asu.edu/scholarships
• Parent’s Association: (See Programs, then see Scholarships)http://www.asuparentsassociation.com/programs/scholarhips/tabid/465/Ddefault.aspx
• College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: https://clas.asu.edu/scholarships
• School of Politics and Global Studies: https://spgs.clas.asu.edu/student-life/scholarships

Q: Do I need to fulfill a foreign language requirement? (top)
A: If you are a Global Studies major, or if you choose to follow the Political Science BA program, then the answer is “yes.” In order to complete this College-wide requirement, you must show proficiency at the 202-level for most languages. If you begin a new language, this means you will be required to complete 4 semesters of a language: 101, 102, 201, and 202. If you have some amount of proficiency in a language and wish to use your prior experience to fulfill the language requirement, you may have fewer semesters to complete in order to reach the 202-level.

Please visit the following websites in order to review all of your language options:
• List of possible languages to take at ASU: https://international.clas.asu.edu/about/academic-areas
• Language placement and proficiency testing: https://international.clas.asu.edu/student-life/academic-advising/placem...
• Critical Languages Institute: http://cli.asu.edu/
• CLEP tests (for SPA, FRE, and GER only): http://www.asu.edu/uts/e_clep.htm

Q: What are Science and Society courses and do I need to complete them for my degree? (top)
A: In lieu of a language requirement, all Bachelor of Science degree programs through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences require two Science and Society classes so that students may better understand the reciprocal relationship between science and societies and develop critical understanding of major topical scientific issues in the public domain.

If you choose to follow the Political Science BS program, you need to complete the Science and Society requirements. The website is important in that it 1) lists potential courses by semester that fulfill the requirement; 2) provides links that enable courses to be manually placed in DARS (this is NOT an automatic process); 3) explains when classes may double count and the specific criteria for selecting courses that meet the requirement (pay particular attention to Learning Goals).

Q: Is there a club or organization where I can get involved and meet fellow students? (top)
A: Yes! There is a Global Studies Student Associate (GSSA) for Global Studies students and Pi Sigma Alpha Deta Theta Chapter for Political Science students.

Pi Sigma Alpha is an honor society that recognizes scholarship and excellence for students of Political Science. Their mission is to prepare students for intellectual and professional leadership in the political arena through individual and collaborative exchanges with peers, faculty, and the community.

GSSA is a student association actively supporting outreach programs for the School, such as Homecoming, open houses, Convocation, and graduation receptions, as well as other volunteer and fun events which bring like-minded young scholars together within the ASU community.

Other organizations may be found through the Student Affairs Office.

Q: How do I order transcripts? (top)
A: You may request both unofficial and official transcripts through your my ASU homepage by clicking "My Classes", "Grades and Transcripts", "Transcripts and Test Scores", then select “unofficial” or “official” transcript from pop-up box and follow prompts.

Q: I need to prove I am enrolled or have full-time status (for insurance purposes, loans, scholarships, etc) – how do I show this? (top)
A: To make a request of this information, contact the Registrar’s Office.

Q: How can I prove I have graduated from ASU aside from showing my diploma? (top)
A: Once your degree has posted, it will show on your transcripts. If it has not yet posted, please contact the Graduation Office at 480.965.3256 for more options.

Q: What about textbooks? (top)
A: You can order your textbooks online through the ASU Bookstore. To determine which books are required for your courses, go to the “My Classes” box on MyASU and click on the link for “Books.” If you see the message, “No books are listed for this class,” you should contact your professor by e-mail to clarify the materials needed since this link is not always up to date. You can view your professor’s contact information in the “My Classes” box on MyASU. Most professors give assignments from the books right away, so please obtain your materials prior to the course start date.